How we can help

Our trained, experienced team of Independent Supporters can help families and young people through the assessment, planning and development stages of the Education, Health and Care Plan process. You can read a basic overview of this process below.

Our flexible approach to providing support aims to meet the needs of you or your child. This support includes telephone advice, face to face meetings, home visits, and support and representation at meetings in schools or with other professionals.

All of our staff have completed training accredited by the Council for Disabled Children, and are specialists in the fields of learning disability, learning difficulty and autism.

Telephone Support
Home Visits
Representation at Meetings

What is an EHC Plan?

An EHC Plan brings a child or young person’s education, health and social care needs into a single, legal document. You can ask your local authority for an EHC needs assessment if you think your child needs one.

Anyone at your child’s school (such as their teacher) can also ask for an assessment to be carried out. Others who work with your child can also tell the local authority if they think an assessment is needed (such as your doctor, health visitor or nursery worker).

What happens next

Once your local authority identifies that your child has Special Educational Needs or receives a request for an Assessment, they have up to six weeks to decide whether to carry one out. During that time, they will ask you and others – such as your child’s school or other setting – for information to help them make that decision.

If your local authority decides not to carry out an Assessment, they need to let you know their decision within six weeks of receiving that request.

Assessments and planning

The Assessment involves finding out what support you think your child needs, what aspirations you and your child have for his or her future, and input from people who work with your child, such as class teachers, doctors and educational psychologists.

If your local authority decides to proceed with an EHC Plan, they should work closely with you and your child to make sure the plan takes full account of your views, wishes and feelings. If they decide that an EHC Plan is not needed, they must tell you within 16 weeks of the date they received a request for an Assessment. Your local authority must review your child’s EHC Plan with you at least once every 12 months.

What is a Personal Budget?

Families are entitled to request a Personal Budget if your child has an EHC Plan or has been assessed as needing a plan. A Personal Budget is an amount of money your local authority has identified to meet some of the needs in your child’s EHC Plan.

Funds within Personal Budgets can be managed by third parties of your choice, held by the local authority in order to pay for agreed services, or spent by you on services you choose.


I think you are wonderful, you do such an important job. You really help to change people’s lives.

Ade, Parent

I really appreciate all the work you have done. I felt really emotional when I read your write up, it was as if you really captured the real ‘Z’.

Mary, Parent

How to apply for this service

To talk to a member of our team for information, advice or support with your child’s EHCP process, please call us on the number below between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can email us or complete our contact form and we will get back to you shortly.

020 8305 2245 Ext 210

Or email

Tell us how we're doing

It's incredibly important to us that our service users and their families tell us how we can improve and deliver even better support.

If you or your child is currently using our service and would like to complete our short feedback survey, click the button below.

Start feedback survey

Useful information