Greenwich Mencap runs a range of support services for Adults and Children with learning disabilities and their families in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Established over 50 years ago, we continue to campaign to ensure that the rights of people with learning disabilities are respected and that their voices are heard.
Latest News – 9th October 2014
We have been allocated 10 palces for the run on 6th December this year.
Speak to the Greenwich Mencap office team on 020 83052245.
£22 needs to be raised to hold a place for you to take part.
What’s On for Adults?
Events for Adults with a Learning Disability:
- Tuesdays: Committee Plus Meeting, The Forum @ Greenwich cafe. 11am-12:00. Come and have your say on how to improve Greenwich Mencap – please bring money for a drink.
- Tuesdays: Bowling, MFA Bowl Lewisham 1st Bowl, 11-29 Belmont Hill, Lewisham SE13 5AU. 6-8pm. £2 per game (2 games maximum). Meet inside foyer at 6pm. Bring money for additional refreshments.
- Wednesdays: Meal at Nandos, Bugsby Way, SE10 0QJ. 6-8pm. Meet in restaurant foyer at 6pm. Average meal and drink cost £12.
- Thursdays - Games Night, 7-9pm, The Forum @ Greenwich. £2 for members or £3 for non-members.
- Thursdays - Lunch Time Drop In, 12:00-2pm, The Forum @ Greenwich cafe. Meal & a drink costs about £5.
We have also seen some exciting changes at the Riverwood Projects- with the introduction of furniture painting and gardening workshops. Riverwood are holding an open day on April 31st from 10am-3:30pm at their Woolwich workshop. Come along to find out about attending Riverwood and see the fantastic work that they do.
To view the products made by our Riverwood Team Members, visit the Riverwood Products Page.
We held a Money Skills Workshop with GAD. Barclays Bank staff came to the Forum to give advice for Adults with a Learning Disability on managing their money. Those who attended the event said that they had enjoyed the workshop and found it useful.
Greenwich Mencap not only supports people with a learning disability and their carers – we also lend our voice to theirs in raising issues and concerns affecting the lives of people with a learning disability. Whether that be education, employment, social lives or care – Greenwich Mencap will always campaign for the best possible services for people with a learning disability.
As an affiliate to national Mencap, and with a membership in the hundreds across the borough and beyond, we are a strong organisation and we know the impact we can have when we all speak with one voice.
At the same time, we will always alert our members to those times when they can let their own opinions be heard. All too often the views of people with a learning disability go unnoticed. Communication is often a barrier, while carers are frequently too busy caring to fully assert themselves. In these cases, Greenwich Mencap is here to support.
If there is an issue you believe in, and you think we should know about it, or do more to help bring about changes, we’d love to hear from you.
Contact Andrew on 0208 305 2245 ext 9.